Coffee shop refuge...

At home awaits laundry and boxes to be unpacked and food to be cooked and people to be fed and things to be scrubbed and cleaned; they are waiting for my return so they can run errands, wondering anxiously when I will finish my tasks. I...I am at a coffee shop, feeling a slight twinge of guilt for downing a pink champagne cupcake with the pleasant yet reckless abandon of a thief reveling in his spoils. The taste still lingers on my tongue and mixes with the beautiful chai. I could have invited one of my dear sister friends, invite them to share the details of the reality shows they star in and perhaps even feign a bit of interest. But I really needed, er need a time out. Perched in the back corner of the cafe, I watch the fat snowflakes falling out the window; content and fairly certain I shall remain unseen by a familiar passerby (who God forbid might feel compelled to keep me company in my solitude). Shrouded in primary colors and deeply hued lips, I felt a bit overdressed, but the muscle man in the neon yellow that just passed me by assures my invisibility. Even the ground appreciates a winter break from pumping out produce, am I not also made of earth?  I wonder how long I'll be able to hide here, away from the to do lists and responsibilities. My instinct tells me not too long. Best to savor the moment in silence before I return to the normality called life.

Comments

Popular Posts