Lights, Camera, Action

On this cool and humid December evening, my eyes chase the image of the full moon through the fog, looking through the back seat car window. On the radio, the Isley Brothers croon on satellite radio and I'm still picking popcorn out of my teeth. We just came from seeing Aquaman and my spirit is very happy indeed. No spoilers, but the movie was beyond fantastic (in my humble opinion).

I love going to the movies, it's escapism at it's finest. There's nothing more dope than being lost for a while in a world very different than but somewhat similar to yours. You cheer for the heroes, you despise or in my case try to "understand" the villain and you hope for some sort of happy ending, all within the span of a couple hours. In and effort to prolong and expand the fantasy just witnessed, I'm that friend who likes to discuss and analyze the movies afterwards; comparing it to cannon, contrasting it with other films, highlighting the pop culture references, and seeing how many lines I can remember verbatim. As you might imagine, few comrades echo my level of euphoric enthusiasm. I guess I get so excited, because movies, especially the fantastic ones, finally provide a gateway for my friends to see the world as I do all the time. In film, there are no limits, if it can be imagined it can be realized...a prehistoric world of giant dinosaurs, an advanced vessel in space manned by otherworldly creatures or a mysterious and beautiful kingdom under the seas; it's all there. So I guess I need to keep writing, so that perhaps one day, the intricate kingdoms and marvelous worlds that dwell behind my eyes might be manifest, for all to finally see.

Comments

Popular Posts