Ones and Zeroes

So...one of my longtime friends is getting married to someone from out of town. I am genuinely happy for her, er, them, and I wish them every conceivable happiness. My social media timeline is filled with gleeful smiles and smoochie faces in anticipation of the upcoming big day.  Simultaneously, I received a friend request from one of the groom’s friends or workmates or whatever. The gent does not know me, we only have 2 acquaintances in common and his profile has only been established since (drumroll please) October of 2018. Yeah. But I guess he figures since the bride and groom met online and met each other in person the week of the wedding, that maybe he should try his luck too. I wonder what was his process, did he scour the bride’s friends list for toothy grinned ladies with no men in their pictures? “Ah, yes, here’s a few! Let me cast a line out and see if anyone bites!”

Don’t get me wrong, to each their own, love can happen in any number of ways and I’m all for that. Honestly I know a few of my contemporaries who have met their soulmates in the same way, a friend of a friend sends a request through social media, or a friend suggests a friend and it goes from there. It even happened to me before; a older woman and family friend appointed herself my yenta and friend suggested myself for a young man from out of town. Always willing to make a new friend, I accepted the request and he began to reach out pretty regularly, daily in fact despite the time difference. After about a week he confessed he wanted to “settle with me” and he likened me to a prosperous cow. Perhaps that was a compliment that got lost in translation, but getting a soft proposal after one week was enough for me; I was out. “Yenta” then proceeded to reach out to me, but her conclusion was that I just wasn’t ready. I don’t think I’ll ever be ready to be someone’s cow.

While it’s tempting to take this route of social media love, especially when you see others your age married and/or with kids by now, I just don’t think it’s the right avenue for me, no diss. Much like the characters in the Matrix, I tend to look at the ones and zeroes of a thing, try to see down to the source code. I’ve known too many “good guys” who were just versions of Mr. Smith, so I try to be cautious, especially in digital realms. It may take a little longer, but I rather wait for the One, someone who runs to pick up the phone when I call (lol), protects those he loves and looks very nice indeed in black.

Comments

Popular Posts