Metaphor

I speak in metaphor often. Not only to illustrate a specific point, but it's a part of my daily conversation. Sometimes my dear ones get frustrated with me because I don't speak directly, I don't "spit it out". But I realized, here in the midst of my insomnia, a few of the reasons I (believe) I do this.
First, I speak in riddles because I want to be able to speak freely to an individual, even in a crowd. I jealousy guard my tongue and my thoughts, lest what I say be distorted out of proportion by a body too busy with other people's business. Been there, done that, it sucks.
I speak in metaphors because it is the language of my heart, and if someone gets what I'm saying, then perhaps they speak my language too. Communication is important to me, it engenders trust. Trust begets loyalty... and a form of love.
I speak in metaphors because it allows me to speak in three or more dimensions. When I tell a story or explain a viewpoint by means of a word picture, you not only hear me, but you understand. You can comprehend deeper because I speak to something you know or have experienced personally, and you begin to subconsciously empathize with what I share.
I only speak in metaphors to people I really feel comfortable with. People who I know have the capacity and desire to get it, to get me. I speak to the minds of those who look at the night's sky, and see more than just stars.
So, yes, I often speak in metaphors. It's a fundamental part of who I am. Because I desire all my dear ones, to see.

Comments

Popular Posts