First day of Spring(?)

Today (supposedly) is the first day of Spring.  Idealistically, one would expect blue skies and mild weather, early flowers timidly peeking their green leaves through the warming ground, birds singing melodies, heralding the rebirth of all things.  Instead, the world looks a bland and muddled mess.  A cold wash of brownish-grey seems to cling on to everything, and to add insult to injury, it snows.  I am perched under my happy lamp since there's no sun outside, enjoying the warmth of an herbal tea and daydreaming of better weather.

Floating around in my Spring starved mind are the many things coming up in the next few months.  There's everything from team meetings on campus to weddings, jazz concerts to gatherings with my brothers and sisters in faith.  I look forward to all that, despite my leanings toward introversion.  Oddly enough though, what I'm really craving is a nice little get together with fellow creatives.  Some 15 years ago (yes, I'm old), it was nothing for a few of us artists, dancers and comedians, writers, mini chefs and musically inclined types to get together and just jam.  We would make up songs and stories, recipes and dance steps; on first Fridays we would gallery hop, purely in pursuit of inspiration...and free wine of course.

Looking out into the colorless landscape, I am thankful to have such a cache of beautiful memories of beautiful people, full of life and color and sound.  They're the perfect place to escape to on a wintry Spring day.

Comments

Popular Posts