Jazz

I've been on a bit of a jazz bender recently. Now don't get me wrong, I love all types of music. From the powerful lyrics and beats of hip hop, to the soul wrenching wail of the blues, to the complex melodic structure of classical tunes, each genre speaks to me in a different and necessary way. But right now, jazz has me. I am discovering giants like Lee Morgan, Horace Silver and Pancho Sanchez, and making new favourites of Sarah Vaughan, Nat King Cole and Louie Armstrong. I feel like an explorer who chanced upon a treasure beyond compare.

In truth, I can't take the credit for my love of jazz, my dad is a dedicated musician. Some of my earliest memories are of me trying to figure out how the sound escaped the hollows of the horns and guitars we had around the house. My mom had (and has) an enviable record and tape collection, and music was always through the house. Matter of fact, Sarah Vaughan's Brazilian Romance was an early and current favourite. Jazz defines my idea of home.

I love jazz because I can get lost in it. The freedom of the notes gives my knotted mind permission to unfurl. I love the beautiful imperfection of it, how it evokes and sometimes explains emotions in syncopated flats and sharps. Music is everything. Jazz is everything. Here's to discovering more.

Comments

Popular Posts