Grandma.


So, today is a beautifully rainy Spring day.  For me, rainy days conjure up memories of rain bonnets and galoshes, crayons and coloring books, grilled cheese and tomato soup.  On rainy days, I could listen to any record I wanted (yes vinyl, yes I'm old), and if I was really good, banana pudding might just be available as a treat.

Today, as wonderfully soggy as it was, my original plans for the day got rearranged.  A little bummed, I was going to come home and do some work, but then I got a call from Grandma.  She and the Big Green Car were headed to my Great Aunt's house to make some calls of encouragement to congregation folks and write a few letters too, so I decided to roll.  We get there, and suddenly I am five again, surrounded by warm laughs, a table full of snacks and a few bits of juicy gossip.  I sat quietly to listen, not only out of respect, but also secretly hoping to skim some wisdom from winsome words and wonderful smiles.  Not only was the conversation great, but I ended up leaving with a plant, a bag full of veggie chips and an ice cold diet iced tea.  I liked today.  Today was a new classic in all the best possible ways.

Comments

Popular Posts