Cafe Friday #6 (part 2)

     "Excuse me?  What do you mean 'no'?  There is no possible downside to this deal.  What, is it some sort of personal thing?  Would you rather it was one of my colleagues schmoozing up to you, filling your head with dreams and not delivering in the end?  Do you know how hard it was to get them to agree to keep on some of that tired staff you have back there, or to even donate to a community center that'll be a parking lot in a couple of years?  Progress is happening Truth, whether you like it or not.  It's smart to get ahead of this thing while you can.  You are smart, right?"

The look I gave here when I looked up from my lemon chicken caused her to quickly shut up.  Unlike Justice, who can be quite vocal going toe to toe with Honor, I tend not to raise my voice, but when I do speak...let's just say its none too nice.

     "Look, I understand you feel pretty passionately about your pet project here.  All I ask, rather, all that we ask, is that you consider the offer, that's it.  Lunch is on us today...do you want to order a dessert to go?"

I declined as I was walking away from the table; I couldn't stand her Flowerbomb perfume in my nose any longer.  Not sure if I even said bye. My mood required that I leave the posh premises as soon as humanly possible.  I had switched shifts with Donnie at the cafe to have this early lunch meeting, but afterwards I really didn't have anywhere else to be, so I went in to work just after the lunch rush. I walk up to see Joah's big old head on the other side of the window, making a silly face and pointing at his watch.

     "Mm-hmm! Late late late! Come in here looking crazy too!  Must have been on a breakfast date or something!"  All I could do is shake my head and smile.  The munchkin across from him tapped his arm, it was his move on their game of chess.  I checked to see if they needed any help behind the counter or in the kitchen, but everything was covered.  Donnie volunteered to finish the shift out so he could hang with the evening crew, so I was free.  Free to deal with my anger and my knotted brain.

I came over to the table where the chess game was going on, and I recognized the kid and his friends from the photos Joah took at the park.  "Looks like you're getting whooped", I said, and he nodded in agreement.  His young competitor let out an "Yibambe!" and his buddies started hooting like little Jabari warriors.  After the match, we walked the young kings back to their neighborhood and then Joah walked me back to my building.  He'd noticed I wasn't really myself and asked if I was feeling alright.  I filled him in on what happened with Honor as we sat catty-corner on the stoop.

     "So, Honor Adams is your sister, huh?  Wow, I can't believe I didn't put that together before, that's a trip.  Sounds like she's still the same from how she was at Havensport Global. She is...intense."

     "Whoa, wait, you're JD from Havensport?  You guys were aiming for the same promotion, right?  Man, it's a small world."

We swapped war stories about Honor for a good while, and I learned Joah's dad owns the company, but made him start at the bottom with everyone else.  When he lost the position to Honor, he stopped trying to curry his father's favor and started something on his own.  He and his buddies designed and sold an app service for tall cash, and now he's a retired, world traveling photographer.

     "So why are you nice to me?", I blurted out eventually, "I mean, you could be anywhere, talking to anybody, tearing it up in the south of France with models and celebrities."

     "Been there, done that, it's true.  But, I’m drawn to your company because you’re different.  You care about others, you're kind, you work hard.  You think independently and you're smart, but you are down to earth and real.  You don't take any stuff from anybody, least of all me, but you think before you speak.  Honestly, I don't even think you know how beautiful you really are."

Tears began to run from my eyes.  For the first time in a long time I felt seen...and appreciated.  Maybe I was crying because I was tired, who knows.  He scooted over and wrapped his lanky arm around me and I rested my head on him.  We sat content in silence until the street lights flickered on.

Comments

Popular Posts