Thankful...

Woke up this morning with a headache the size of Texas (ugh); I'd fell asleep on the couch, only to be awakened by Thor using my backyard as target practice.  Naturally, in my sleep drunk stupor, I waddled upstairs, phone and tablet in tow, trying to convince my parents of the need to immediately head for the basement and fussing about a lack of completed go bags.   "It's just a storm!", they moaned, and convinced me to sleep in the recliner in the old office.  All I remember is fussing about the perceived hurricane before drifting off to dreamland again.

Maybe I'm recovering from the past couple of weekends, which have been surprisingly beautiful, despite not having had the privilege of traveling to Ibiza like I'd wanted.  The other week I got to accompany Dad to a gig at the local country club.  Admittedly, I was nervous because 1. I'm not really a musician like that, so once set up was done I'd be sitting there, in between taking photos of him and the band of course and 2. I don't consider myself the country club "type", being tall, brown and Lizzo-esque in stature, I figured I would stick out horribly.  Yet again, the Universe takes great pleasure in proving me wrong.  After taking a bunch of pictures and posting on social media from the event, I sat there in a cushioned wicker chair, facing the manicured grounds and lush trees and I felt kinda royal.  Sure, the upper crust folks ate their Lobster Thermidor on white tablecloths in their Gucci shades, but it wasn't enough to kill my vibe, listening to jazz classics performed live, in a fantastic garden with perfect weather, sipping organic water as yellow birds dashed overhead. This nice older couple even talked to me, and told me what a great job Dad was doing...dope.

A couple days later, I found myself at a celebration gathering to thank all the volunteers who helped with the flood relief earlier this year.  90% of the folks there were people I'd never met, but their smiles and warmth were undeniably infectious.  There were three different food stations, one for fresh fruit and chocolate fondue, a barbecue station with all the delicious fixings and the taco station, where one of the chefs was making fresh tortillas, carne asada and chorizo on the plancha, along with all the fresh toppings.  I tell you no lie, those were the BEST TACOS OF MY ENTIRE EXISTENCE ON EARTH.  We sipped homemade sangria as we sat on the patio overlooking the lake, and we didn't even mind when it began to sprinkle a bit, it was fantastic.  To hang out with people from different cultures and backgrounds and yet have so much in common...I honestly think many world problems could be solved with love, cooperation and a mutual appreciation for good food.

This past weekend was spent making small gifts for delegates to an international convention coming up, where I got to meet my long lost Filipino sister.  We waxed poetic over lumpia rolls and adobo, and talked about our love of art.  Met another homie who is extremely craft talented, and has a singing voice like an angel.  I sat at a table with amazing ladies from all over the area, and discovered my love of sesame noodles.   And just last night, I got my boogie on at a 21st anniversary party; I sipped champagne with the grown ups and chatted with an old friend about the love of vinyl records and our hatred of StairMasters.  I like hanging with the grownups sometimes, getting that higher perspective from mature individuals who been there, done that.  Today there were gifts from some friends of mine who just got back from Brazil, such love...I'm gonna put them in my travel room, hopefully they can bring that good passport energy my way too.

I think I'm supposed to learn that the things behind are not as great as the things ahead, and to cherish and appreciate every gilded moment spent with golden hearts and priceless smiles.  Ciao Beloved.

Comments

Popular Posts